Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Off to Indonesia 10 April 2009

The Air Asia flight from Penang to Jakarta on the April 10 was delayed by 40 minutes and by the time the plane landed at the Soekarno-Hatta International Airport or Bandara (short for for Bandar Udara), it was already 11.10 pm. Went through the Immigration Counter without much problems, collected my luggage and was out of the Arrival Hall just before midnight. Immediately, I was surrounded by people asking if I needed a taxi to my hotel. Many of these people are touts or 'chalok'. I was told that the fare from the airport to somewhere near Jalan Jaksa / Kebun Sireh area is about 160,000 to 180,000 Rupiah. I was too tired to argue so I settled for 150,000. A bit steep, I know but it was already late. Arrived at Jalan Jaksa and searched for my hotel and lo and behold, it was closed for renovation.
You see, a month before I left, I emailed Hotel Karya Bahana in Jalan Jaksa to book a room. I chose the hotel since the rate was reasonable and the rooms, from its website, looked nice enough. No wonder I did not receive any reply. Anyway, got off the taxi and started to look for another hotel nearby. Saw Hotel Djody. Quite cheap, only 145,000 per night for an air-conditioned room. My mistake for not asking about the room properly. I ended up had to buy a towel, soap and shampoo from a nearby supermarket since all of these were not provided. No blanket as well. Too tired, I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment